User

Andrew Krajewski

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Saturday Morning Children's cinema

by Andrew Krajewski » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:49 pm

The THREE local cinemas held Saturday morning clubs for kids
and each cinema would be packed with noisy excited kids.

The programme was:

1 a sing song with the words projected onto the screen

2 two or three cartoons eg Popeye, Mad Rooster, etc :lol:

3 a serial which always finished on a cliff hanger eg Tarzan, Robin Hood, Flash Gordon, etc :o

4 an interval for ice creams, sweets, etc

5 the main film eg a western, an adventure story, etc :roll:

The noise at times was absolutely deafening
but there were rarely any problems

It was all such great fun
no avatar
User

Judith Chute

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:34 am

Ealing

Re: Saturday Morning Children's cinema

by Judith Chute » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:16 am

:lol: Yes Andrew it was something to look forward to. We also had Pathe News, and everyone talking during boring bits. I liked Lassie - the famous dog films. Also Zorro. All Black and white of course. X
no avatar
User

pfirmin

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Saturday Morning Children's cinema

by pfirmin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 am

This subject brings back many fond memories for me. I can well recall going to the Saturday morning pictures in the mid 60's with my school mates in Essex. We'd usually turn our six penny (6d) tickets upside down, so that we could go into the more expensive nine penny (9d) back row seats (cheekily holding our thumbs over the upside down 'd' to hide the fact). Then we'd watch all of the shows until during the final main end film and then we'd suddenly produce pea-shooter pistols from our anorak pockets, become 'Back Row Cinema Assassins' and surreptitiously pick people's heads off from the back row - hah hah! (until we inevitably got chucked out). Great memories - Woody Woodpecker cartoons, Tarzan serials, Cowboy Westerns or Robin Hood & Knights in Armour films. It was a lovely big ODEON cinema in my town originally built in the 1930s and opened by some famous Hollywood film star of the time or so I heard (but never found out who it was?), it even had it's own upstairs ball room and bands would often play live concerts there too (some famous ones, including: The WHO, D. Bowie, Motorhead, Siouxsie and the Banshees etc.). Many years later I went back when they were demolishing the building to make way for a shopping centre and a multi-plex cinema complex (not the same) - it felt like someone was smashing down and demolishing my personal childhood memories. I sneaked in through the chain link fence one weekend and stole a brick from the pile of rubble as a memento and took a final look at the main stage. An onsite workman spotted me and came chasing across to find out why I was trespassing on a dangerous demolition site. He ended up helping me to choose a nice undamaged example as a keepsake once I'd explained what I was doing. One day if I ever build my dream home, that ODEON brick will be the first one in the wall. Did you know, and my Dad told me this, that ODEON stands for 'Oscar Dietrich Entertains Our Nation'. That's how they got the name. Fond memories indeed, a chance to ride your bike to the venue, buy sweets from the local sweetshop, flirt with and tease girls, watch exciting films in stunning Black & White, and use innocent front row seat kids as target practice! Brilliant - a perfect Saturday morning out when you're a lad aged 9 or 10.