WHY ME?

no avatar
User

jimewan

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Berkshire

WHY ME?

by jimewan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:38 pm

There is a lot of ‘stuff’ going on in my life at the moment. Sometimes it all gets a bit overwhelming. Which leads me to ponder on our human capacity for complaining. I don’t know about you (well, I suspect I do!) but the human default condition seems to be to moan about everything and to make it personal.

So “Why me?” becomes a popular refrain; often addressed to a deity. “Why me, God? I’ve been a good person, why does nothing good ever happen to me?”

The truth (insofar as there is such a thing) is that the one common denominator in all our lives is us. And we need to accept responsibility for everything that happens.

I don’t mean take the blame, for there are many things over which we apparently have no control. But bear in mind that you cannot fall off a mountain unless you first decide to climb, you cannot win the lottery unless you first buy a ticket, you cannot get hit by a bus unless you first visit the location of the looming accident. So you and I are the focus and it is always our actions that set in train the sequence of events that lead to whatever that happens to us, good or bad.

Makes you feel quite special and important, eh? And I know that looking at my life from this point of view helps me cope with the slings and arrows. And, at present, it is helping me cut down on the whining and face up to what is going on.
no avatar
User

Jen

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: WHY ME?

by Jen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:34 pm

I agree, taking full responsibility makes the pain less intense and its duration shorter. However, knowing how we create the event in the beginning is a better way to live. Beware of the emotions you live in. Beware of the content of your conversation and beware of the thought you fall asleep with
User

Peter

Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: WHY ME?

by Peter » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 pm

It all boils down to
how we talk to ourselves.

Stuff happens but
it's our response
that is the key.

So be very aware of your inner conversations
and practice gratitude as you fall asleep