Personal philosophy

no avatar
User

jimewan

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Berkshire

Personal philosophy

by jimewan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 am

In my alter ego of 'The Wise Old Man' I publish video blogs with the intention of opening up new options, new choices and new ways of seeing things. So that you have more fun and freedom and are happier and more fulfilled in your day-to-day life. Below is an approximate transcript of the first blog. I hope it is useful and, if you would like to see the video version, go to www.thewiseoldman.co.uk.

Today I am going to talk about fear and the crippling effect it has on the lives of many people.

Now I`m not talking about the “sitting inside, too scared to go out” type of fear or the “ahh there’s a spider” kind of fear, what I am talking about is a fear that many people do not even realise they have. Some of the most in control people, some of the most successful, some of the richest, are still, maybe even more so, full of fear.

Often it’s that fear that motivates them to push on and on, to be more powerful, to be more successful, to make even more money.

You may say to yourself, “I can’t see what’s wrong with that; I would like to be richer and more successful”. Yes that’s fine, but there is a great cost.

You see such people are never fulfilled and if you are not fulfilled, you are not happy and if you are not happy, then you are not really successful (or rich if you count being rich as one aspect of happiness)

The same is also true for many “normal” people; they trade money for being fulfilled because they are scared of really going for what they want.

The secret to being fulfilled is to do what you truly love to do, and to do that

you will need to trust yourself and life. Fear doesn’t allow for this kind of trust.

“So how can I remove the fear from my life” you ask?

To start with you need to stop listening to the main source of all this fear, your thinking.

Let me ask you a question, are your thoughts you?

I say no they are not, they are your fears, all they have to offer is fearful advice.

What should you listen to then?

If you relax and take some deep breaths, you may just be able to feel an inner guide offering you the best path forward.

You should practice this and also practice ignoring your thoughts.
User

Helen

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: Personal philosophy

by Helen » Wed May 06, 2015 8:09 pm

I find it very useful to simply stop what I'm doing several times a day
and simply say "Here and now." to myself
and take some deep breaths
and look around me.

It's very calming and helps to eliminate that mindless chatter.

Sometimes I'll just sit quietly and think to myself
what's my next thought going to be
and then simply wait.

Before that thought arrives
you'll experience total blankness.
Absolute bliss

What's more, you'll find that silent space gets longer and longer.
no avatar
User

jimewan

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Berkshire

by jimewan » Wed May 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Very interesting, Helen. Sounds similar to 'no mind'; just stilling the irritating voice that has an opinion about everything and everybody (usually critical and often directed at you!)
User

Chris

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 pm

by Chris » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:48 pm

It strikes me that it's all about stilling
that 'neggie parrot' that's for ever squawking away on our shoulder.

I'm reminded of something that I read in 'The Power of Now'.by Eckhart Tolle'

It goes something like this.

Just stop several times a day
and say "Here & Now" to yourself
to help you to focus on what's happening to you here & now
rather than thinking about what has been or good happen.

It's amazing how catching & stopping yourself like this
helps to improve your day.