User

Andrew Krajewski

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

National Strategy for our Aging Population

by Andrew Krajewski » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:47 pm

The Government is burying it's head in the sand
in respect of our aging population
and it's a problem that's only going to get worse.

There are so many issues to consider:
1 health & care
2 pensions
3 housing
4 care homes
5 loneliness
6 mobility
7 etc. etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts
and let's see if we can open the Government's eyes.
no avatar
User

zandiman

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: National Strategy for our Aging Population

by zandiman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi Andrew,
As far as this government is concerned they would rather give £35 million every day to the EU than look after old age pensioners and the like. The last thing this government want's to do is not spend money in this country take a look at the cut back's it is forcing on every body here Childcare, NHS, Care homes, Council's, Road Repair's Bus services and I could go on. Let's just take care homes if you own your own Home and you have to go in to care you might as well say that is the end of your home because with it comes, with what I consider to be no more then paying the mortgage of the care home owner's at a colossal price of £700 - £1000
bill a month, with the majority of these care homes having at lest 5 -10 bedrooms mainly with non qualified staff who don't care much about who there looking after , with poor pay and mostly foreigners for staff, with a lot of which do not speak English as there first language, would you say this is the correct way to be looked after as I don't. So lets go back to the maths say a property with 10 bedroom of accommodations At £1,000 a month for each person there equates to £10.000 a month add to this heating food electric water rates, council tax, Mortgage and staff wages so lets say expense's of £5,000 that leaves £5, 000 a month not bad for doing very little as they are nearly always run by staff not the owners who by the way seem to have numerous care homes to there name. Now the government as said that councils this year can put up council tax to pay for elderly care, so that means again if your over 55 you are paying for some thing you may want the use of in later life or as a pensioner you are paying for people in care !!. Hang on ! what is are N.I paying for?, not for Pension's not for health care not for Hospitals, not for our Old Age care but what ? ho I know to keep us in the EU and to give to over sea's aid to country's that buy ARMS to use against are troop's, that have space programmes and there people live in poverty for heads of state to syphon off to make them wealthy and to let there people suffer abuse at the hands of there cronies, and I thought the saying goes charity begins at home not if you are English if doesn't you have to subside the rest until you need help then you have to keep giving again or sell your home to cover your care, and then MP's have just had a good pay rise last year now there having another one of £1,000 this year plus expenses subsidize bars and restaurant's 15 weeks holiday through out the year, Then when workers and the unemployed struggle on less then half this wage, they are told you've never had it so good what a joke workers in this country now nearly always work weekends, bank holiday, and even there annual leave and many on no enhanced pay. .who's never had it so good?
User

Chris

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 pm

by Chris » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:03 pm

When the State Pension scheme was introduced way back in 1948, there were 40 workers to every pensioner and life expectancy was only 68 years.
So only 3 years of State Pension payments.

Today it's about 3 workers to every pensioner and life expectancy is about 78 years.
So 13 years of State Pension payments.

Clearly the system is unsustainable which is why the Government is raising the pension age.
Today's 20 year olds will have to work until at least 75 years of age.

Around a quarter of us will end up in a Care Home at an average cost across the country of £600 per week.
This will have to be paid for by us selling our homes, bang goes the kids' inheritance (there are ways around this if you can afford them).
And to add insult to injury, somebody on benefits who hasn't contributed to the system will have their Care Home fees paid for by the State.

Can it get any worse?

Unfortunately yes
because with a growing aging population
the situation can only get worse.

The only thing that we can do is to plan for the future very carefully
and I shall make sure that my kids are very aware of what is facing them
so that they can plan well ahead for their retirement.
no avatar
User

zandiman

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:16 pm

by zandiman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Sorry,
In my reply to this Post I was under the impression that the fee being £700 -£1000, that this was a monthly amount. And not what I stated, I will stand corrected .

As this turns out to be a weekly amount so this makes my argument as to the owners pocketing even more money, with poor standards in most cases of care.

I think this should be looked at as a matter of urgency by government to make sure these people who own these establishment are qualified in nursing care, and have fully trained staff with qualification's.

This also should be the same as care company's that cover home care, they should hold qualification's and have fully trained qualified staff.
User

Peter

Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:46 pm

by Peter » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Zandiman, you're so right.

Running a care home can be very easy money as many of the old folk don't know what's going on
- stick them in rooms and leave them there all day
- feed them anything a few times a day
- give them a wash now and again
- clean clothes now and again
etc etc etc

There are good care homes about but they are very expensive
because they have properly trained staff to look after the needs of the elderly.

As we have an aging population the problem is going to increase
and so we desperately need some organisation to ensure that quality sensibly priced care is available.