Electronics

no avatar
User

Kob

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Electronics

by Kob » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Messing with electronics is an amazing hobby for anyone who is retiring. And contrary to common belief, Its not a difficult subject to learn. With a little bit of spare time available, it will take just a few weeks to get the basics. It won't ever seem like a chore either, as its the most effective kind of pedagogy, ie. just playing, by having a lot of fun making or fixing stuff.

And it can all be done without ever going near a computer. You do not need a computer to do electronics!! I can assure you, that computers are not required at all for lots of exciting and diverse projects.

So many fascinating, different aspects to investigate. After messing about building a few kits or repairing your old appliances, you eventually find an area that you gravitate towards. But you won't find that out until later. That is what makes the journey so exciting as you don't know where its going to take you. My own particular journey, got me into EM history and replicating old electronics experiments. But there is literally a thousand different paths or more, you could branch off into.

There are lots of low cost electronics kits you can buy (making your own radio, amplifiers, Led light kits etc. The list of beginners projects is endless.) Plus with so much help online, in today's networked world, its impossible to become stuck on a problem for very long. If you get into this hobby, you can't avoid becoming more knowledgeable on how all this stuff and gadgets around us works. All this knowledge is absorbed into the brain (almost by osmosis) and it just becomes part of your journey. One big positive by-product is, you'll also keep your brain in tip top condition. Possibly the most fun, effective, brain exercising there is (In my Opinion!) Beats hands down, watching day time TV, gardening, Knitting or doing Sudoku and crossword puzzles!

Multimeters, Soldering irons, Oscilloscopes and parts can all be obtained at rock bottom prices on ebay. So, unlike 20 years ago, its also a very low cost hobby. To get started all you need is a cheap soldering iron and a voltmeter. (Easy have change left from £50.) As you get into it, you'll end up with more equipment. As you gradually but surely become addicted. ;-)

Anyone interested, let me know as I have links to some of the best FREE electronics teaching youtube channels and websites on the net. I know people who started this hobby in their 70s and they absolutely love it (Although many of them wished they had known how much fun it was when they were younger).

Kind regards
Kevin O'Brien