no avatar
User

Chiedu

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Emotional Freedom Technique (Tapping) for Anxiety

by Chiedu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:32 pm

It's normal to feel anxious about situations in life, but excessive anxiety can be a sign of something more serious. Typically you will find yourself worrying excessively about everyday events and circumstances, without good reason. You can’t stop worrying about work, relationships, health, money or the future. You feel tense all the time and forget what it feels like to have a relaxed mind. You often experience tension headaches, nausea and muscle pain. These characteristics are described as Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) which can be triggered by a different factors including a traumatic event or an illness.
The signalling mechanism in your brain which alerts you to danger does not switch off, leaving you feeling danger when there is no apparent danger.

If you find you have been feeling this way for a long time, you are not alone. Statistics show that GAD affects up to 5% of the UK population. It is also estimated that 1 in 4 in the UK experience some form of anxiety disorder.
Medical treatment from your doctor may be prescribed in the form of antidepressants (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)). These work by changing the chemical balance of serotonin to help brain cells send and receive chemical messages, which in turn boosts mood. The downside of this medication are the side effects which can be experienced in the first few weeks of treatment:
Nausea
Nervousness, agitation or restlessness
Dizziness
Reduced sexual desire
Drowsiness
Insomnia
Weight gain or loss
Headache
Dry mouth
Vomiting
Diarrhoea

Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) as a solution for GAD
Scientific research shows that tapping on certain acupressure points reduces the part of the brain that is associated with fear and reduces the stress hormone cortisol, This lowers the symptoms related to anxiety related issues.
Many people do not understand EFT or think tapping is a bit weird! I did too! Until I managed to shift a 30 year phobia in just a few sessions! And so did my son who suffered from social anxiety at school and avoided birthday parties. His confidence within himself and around people has grown tremendously since I introduced him to tapping.

As a registered member of the AAMET, I have been seeing clients with anxiety disorders in person and via Skype. I work with them closely to gain control of their anxiety and let go of negative emotions and fears. They leave me feeling balanced and energised. I love seeing the transformation in my clients, who are often astonished by the results.

“Since my late teens, anxiety has been something I have been trying to manage. It started to affect my confidence, self esteem and behaviour, I’ve tried meditation, head massages and therapy, which provided little impact. Within an hour of treatment a pressure headache, which I have had on and off for four weeks was gone. I felt emotionally stable and had a good night’s sleep. I feel as if I’m ‘back to normal’ and have control again.” Alfonso, 30.

“Before the session I felt both awkward and tense, not being able to look people in the eyes. But after the session I felt relaxed and comfortable in my surroundings. I could talk to people without a sense of being judged. Although I’m still unable look people in the eyes completely, I can now have a normal conversation without feeling awkward and tense as before” Jessica, 14
If you would like to learn more about tapping and working with me please PM me.
User

Joan

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: Emotional Freedom Technique (Tapping) for Anxiety

by Joan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:35 pm

I have heard of tapping
and like you said
I find it a bit weird.

You say that it works on acupuncture points
but they use sharp needles
but with tapping, blunt fingers are used

I can't see how a finger can have the same effect as a needle
on an acupuncture POINT?

Is it possible to self tap
and would it still work even if you're skeptical?