Our Vision

Our Vision

Andrew Krajewski

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Our Vision

by Andrew Krajewski » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:26 pm

The purpose of this website is to enable you to meet like minded people throughout the world.

How did the idea arise?

Please picture an elderly person wrapped in an overcoat and blanket, sitting clutching a hot drink in front of a dying fire, looking very frail and lonely.

That's the image that sparked the initial idea for this community. I felt that it was completely illogical, in this modern age of immediate world wide communication, that anybody should feel alone and vulnerable.

But that was just the beginning. As I discussed the idea with a wide variety of people from all walks of life I realised that there was a much greater need.

I found that there are many people that would like a wider circle of friends but find it difficult to find like-minded people. When we were young it was relatively easy, however as we get older it becomes harder and harder for a variety of reasons such as family and work commitments.

It soon became very clear that around the age of 50, peoples' perspectives changed. Typically the children have left home, you've 'peaked' at work and importantly you're beginning to think about your retirement.

50 Plus enables you to meet people who are in a comparable situation and who have similar interests, all from the comfort of your own home at a time that is convenient for you. How? By reading and contributing to the huge variety of posts that have been written by members of the 50 Plus community. As you engage in the various Forum posts you will get to know people in a very relaxed and non-threatening way. At some point you may wish too communicate with another member directly to develop the relationship and this is something that we can facilitate (at no cost) as long as both parties agree. Hence your circle of friends grows.

As 50 Plus is internet based it means that you can engage with people both locally, nationally and internationally. This brings a really interesting and varied added dimension to your circle of friends.

The Forum topics are geared to reflect your likely interests and here we need your input in order to make the topics relevant and interesting for you. So do please use the Suggestion Box forum to let us know what topics you'd like to see added.

Some of the topics are of an 'educational' nature, which perhaps reflects my days as a high school Deputy Headteacher. I feel very strongly that many of us drift into retirement without really giving it much thought, other than the size of our pensions. My hope is that engaging in these 'educational' topics will enable us to plan our retirement and old age better and hence avoid the elderly person scenario that I mentioned at the beginning.

We sincerely hope that you enjoy your time with the 50 Plus community and that it brings that increased circle of like-minded interesting and stimulating friends.